Sens. Johnson, Grassley: National Archives Must Provide Transparency about Joe Biden’s Classified Documents
WASHINGTON - On Monday, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), ranking member of the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, and U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), ranking member of the Committee on the Judiciary, sent a letter to Debra Steidel Wall, Acting Archivist at the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), requesting information related to the NARA’s involvement, knowledge and role in the recent discovery of classified documents linked to Joe Biden’s vice presidency.
“We write today relating to the discovery of ‘documents marked classified from Joe Biden’s vice presidency’ that have been found at multiple locations,” the senators explain. “Since July 30, 2021, we have raised concerns about whether then-Vice President Joe Biden stored and archived government records in compliance with federal records laws. We request that NARA provide full transparency regarding its involvement, knowledge and role with respect to the existence of these classified and unclassified documents.”
In June 2021, NARA declined to provide Sens. Johnson and Grassley with documents related to their investigation into the Biden family’s foreign financial entanglements. Similarly, in July 2021 and June 2022 the White House failed to respond to the senators’ requests for information regarding reports that then-Vice President Biden used a non-government email for official business, including the transmission of government information to his son, Hunter Biden.
Today, the senators demanded NARA provide the following information:
- A timeline of NARA’s interactions relating to the discovery of records, including those marked classified, from Joe Biden’s vice presidency with the White House, Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Homeland Security, NARA Office of Inspector General, Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement, Joe Biden’s attorneys, and any other federal or private entity involved.
- How many documents were stored at the Penn Biden Center? Has NARA requested to review all of the other documents at this location or at any other? If not, why not?
- Are there other locations where President Joe Biden has stored records from his time as vice president? If so, has NARA requested to review those records? If not, why not?
- Has there been any other instance in which NARA was apprised of or discovered that records marked classified from Joe Biden’s vice presidency were located outside a government facility? If so, please provide all details.
- Has NARA requested the White House to provide all documents that include the pseudonyms and email addresses listed below that then-Vice President Biden used?
a) “RobinWare456 @gmail.com”;
b) “Robert.L.Peters @pci.gov”;
c) “JRB Ware”; and
Read more about the letter in Fox News.
The full text of the letter can be found here.