On January 20, 2021, the COVID-19 emergency relief measures from the CARES Act were extended on federal student loans through September 30, 2021.
- Interest shall not accrue on federal student loans during this time.
- The suspension will not negatively impact your qualification for the student loan forgiveness program. Your payment count should go up one payment per month until Sept. 30, 2021, despite the payment suspension.
- Contacting your loan servicer is best if you have questions related to your specific situation.
- For further information on student loan forbearance, visit Coronavirus and Forbearance Info for Students, Borrowers, and Parents | Federal Student Aid
Additional Education Resources:
- For COVID information for schools, students and families from the Department of Education’s webpage, visit COVID-19 Resources for Schools, Students, and Families | U.S. Department of Education
- For information from the WI Department of Public Instruction COVID Information webpage: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction |